Sure to be a family favourite, this warming one-pot wonder has gently simmered sausages, hearty cannellini beans and a crunchy breadcrumb topping
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 large celery stick, finely chopped
- 2 peppers (any colour), cut into chunks
- pack 6 pork sausage (about 400g/14oz)
- 1 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 400g can cannellini beans, drained
- 250g bag spinach ( or use the same quantity of frozen)
- 2 tbsp fresh breadcrumbs
Put the oil in a large, heatproof casserole dish over a medium heat and add the onion, cooking for five minutes until they start to soften.
Tip in the garlic, celery and peppers, and give everything a good stir. Cook for five more minutes.
Turn the heat to high and add the sausages.
Cook for a few minutes until browned all over, then reduce the heat to medium, sprinkle in the spices and season well. Pour over the tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Cover and continue simmering gently for 40 minutes, stirring every now and then.
Heat the grill to high and uncover the casserole. Add the beans and spinach, and stir to warm through. Scatter over the breadcrumbs and grill for 2-3 minutes until golden and crisp.